peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.

I purchased a 2006 legacy GT AT wagon in November its been

Customer Question

I purchased a 2006 legacy GT AT wagon in November its been running great it currently has 78,000 miles but last Thursday it started ticking loudly no check engine light it kinda sounds like an exhaust leak I checked the oil ,its just about due for an LOF and it needed about a quarter of a quart any idea what may be causing this loud ticking?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The ticking noise may be caused by a fault with low engine oil pressure due to an issue with a restriction in the oil pick up tube or an issue with worn or damaged engine bearings.I have also seen the engine oil pump start to fail and can cause this here as well.I have also seen the exhaust leak where the exhaust pipe connects to the exhaust manifold or where the manifold connects to the exhaust.I would have the exhaust checked over for any leaks and if any are found they will need repaired.

If no leaks are found then I would have the engine oil pressure tested to see there is an engine oil pressure issue.If no oil pressure issues are found this would leave a lifter/tappet at fault in the engine needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete