Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

09 Wrx overheating intermittently with ac on. I just had the

Customer Question

09 Wrx overheating intermittently with ac on. I just had the shortblock replaced due to the tensioner bolt snapping so I'm sure I don't have a headgaskets issue. The nearest dealership is small and takes a few weeks before having an open appointment which I made but have 2 weeks before the appointment to try to figure this out. I was getting pretty annoyed with my situation so I replaced the radiator caps and thermostat hoping that would fix the issue. No luck. Ac blows cold sometimes, sometimes it's really humid in the cabin, other times it blows warm. Went out to get a manifold gauge set lowside shows 40 psi and high shows around 300. Both fans turn on but not sure if condenser fan is working properly as I never feel it blowing hard like the main fan. Any pointers on what to look for next?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

Let me start by saying that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

They are sometimes bad about the radiators clogging up and causing an overheating. You can have that tested at a radiator shop or feel around the core when the engine is hot to see if there are any cool spots that would indicate a clog. That is what it sounds like from the symptoms.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Wouldn't a clogged radiator overheat with or without the ac on? The radiator has been replaced before so I'm 100% that is not the issue...
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

Not always and if you are 100% on the rad, check the head gasket.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not the headgaskets as I just got a new shortblock installed by Subaru...
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

That is all that I can think of on it, but wait there may be another expert who has more. I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, also DON’T RATE THE ANSWER yet, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

New expert here,
You could have an air pocket in the cooling system. when you replaced the thermostat did you bleed the air out?
Also unbolt the radiator and look at the front of the radiator between the condenser. It can get clogged with fuzzies, restricting the air flow.
If you need more help, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please rate at the top of the screen. We can continue to work on your question, rating does not close out your question. Remember, in some cases it can be difficult to completely diagnose or help repair your vehicle without being there, but I try to give you the best possible answer with the information that I have. Thanks Dan

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I bled the coolant... I also bled the system before I replaced the thermostat with no success... My gut keeps telling me it may be a relay or the fan. Are both fans in my 09 wrx 2 speed? If so I always notice the main switching back and forth blowing on high and the secondary staying at low speed.