Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.

I'm baking a cake to take to a 4th of July party and just

Customer Question

Hi Pearl,
JA: What is the model/year of your Subaru?
Customer: I'm baking a cake to take to a 4th of July party and just found out my remote key is not working. I don't want to set off the alarm. I don't think I can get a battery today. How do I disable the alarm (I live alone).
JA: Have you tested the battery? Is the battery fluid low?
Customer: thanks,
JA: What year is your Subaru?
Customer: Patricia 2006 Forrester, I think my car battery is fine, , I hope! it's the key fob that probably needs a battery.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I can call Triple A, I just assumed it was the key fob since I haven't replaced that better in years.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: my drivers side window stopped going down a few days ago, could that be related?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Subaru Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

Hi there,

You should be able to unlock the driver door using the key, this is supposed to disable the alarm so you can drive the car. Unlock with the key, then put the key in the ignition and start the car. If you unlock it and then it won't crank at all, the car itself likely has a battery issue. If the alarm is working, then the engine will crank for about 3 seconds and stop.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!