Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles

I disconnected my 2013 Subaru Impreza battery while the

Customer Question

I disconnected my 2013 Subaru Impreza battery while the doors were locked. I had to unlock the door with the key to try to start the car when I reconnected the battery. The panic alarm went off when I reconnected it. I silenced the alarm with the keyfob but now the engine won't turn over at all.
JA: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?
Customer: No spark, some clicking, and all dash lights are on
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting with the doors unlocked and everything in the car off. I've tried disconnecting the battery, setting the key to "On", reconnecting the battery, cycling off, and turning it back on. I've tried cycling "on" and off 3 times and cranking on the 4th. Never will the enging turn over at all
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That's all I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Subaru Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I' m Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I' m reviewing your question now, and I will be post back with your reply ASAP

have you checked all your fuse ?

does the security light on dash flashes when you try to start it ?

we will need the fault codes scanned if all fuse are good and master reset did not work

I know you tried disconnecting the battery already , but i want to try this step by step as described

Master Reset Procedure

1-Disconnect battery ( Both Cables ,The Negative & The Positive Cable )
2-Touch Cables together and hold 20 secs and let go
3-Hold Brake pedal down 10 secs
4-Wait 10 minutes and then Reconnect Battery
5-Close all the doors ,hood & trunk .
6-lock the car with key from driver door ( IF your car is Equipped with a bladeless key then just locked with the key Fob)
7- Unlock car & Start your vehicle

please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat ( aka -Customer)

ASE Certified Tech

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This didn't change anything. Still not turning over. All dash lights flash. When I locked the car, the key light on the dash was flashing, as if the key was in the car. But I was not in the car. When I unlocked the doors the key light stopped flashing. The car would not turn over.

well if all fuses are good and reset did not do it then with out fault codes we will be guessing

you definitely have the alarm triggered not allowing start up, i bet if you go to starter and power it up thru the relay the engine will spin over ,probably want start but it will crank

reading the anti theft module with a scan tool going to tell us which components failed in the anti theft system .

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't have a scan tool.

I m sorry ,

only thing i can think off is

go to download software for your car for$50 on your smart p[hone

buy wirless OBDII plug from for $32

now you have a scan tool and do it yourself

these are the components in question

Hope I was helpful to you , Please let me know if you need anything else on it, get the codes and post them here and i can help you further

A Positive Rating is Much Appreciated

This Post Will Stay Open For You to Come Back and ask me any Follow up Questions you may have on this issue Even after you Rate Me.

Thank You
Chad Farhat ( aka -Customer)