Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

CODE PO500 SENSOR. PUT IN NEW WHEEL BEARINGS. ON BOTH

Customer Question

CODE PO500 FOR SPEED SENSOR. PUT IN NEW WHEEL BEARINGS. ON BOTH FRONT WHEELS AND PUT IN NEW SPEED SENSORS. CAN NOT CLEAR OUT THE CODE. TRACTION LIGHT ON. ABOVE THE ODOMETER IS ES-SS CRUISE LIGHT IS FLASHING. ALL STARTED WITH BAD WHEEL BEARING. SO I REPLACED BOTH FRONT BEARINGS WITH MOOG BRAND WHEEL HUB ASSEMBLY'S. THERE IS A BLACK MAGNET STRIP ON THE BACK OF THE BEARING. THIS IS WHEN THE CODE APPEARED. SO I REPLACED THE TWO SPEED SENSORS. THIS DID NOTHING. MY SCANNER WILL NOT SHOW LIVE DATA. THERE WAS NOT ANY CODES BEFORE I CHANGED THE WHEEL BEARINGS

Category: Subaru
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I' m Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I' m reviewing your question now, and I will be post back with your reply ASAP

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ok. Thanks

it pulled p0500, what happens when you try to communicate when pulling live data, just keep on saying please wait or just keep running your scanner?

can you communicate with ABS module ? or which module you cant communicate with ?

what is the mileage on the car ?

what scanner are you using ?

and have you checked all fuses inside and outside the car ?

I want you to notice number # ***** on the diagram That is the magnetic encoder seal did it have it on yours , did u check again ?

If we can read the abs module and go down the road than you can see the sensor if they are pickup up the wheel speed or not ? is the abs module able to be read ?

2009 Subaru Outback F4-2.5L

Save Article

Select Print Option Complete Article Text Only Image(s) Only

DTC P0500 VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR "A" DTC DETECTING CONDITION: - Immediately at fault recognition - GENERAL DESCRIPTION See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Diagnostic Trouble Code Descriptions > P0500 CAUTION: After repair or replacement of faulty parts, perform Clear Memory Mode See: Computers and Control Systems > Reading and Clearing Diagnostic Trouble Codes > Clear Memory Mode and Inspection Mode. See: Computers and Control Systems > Scan Tool Testing and Procedures > Preparation For the Inspection Mode

Zoom and Print Options

Step 1

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

My scanner is a Matco Tools determinator. Mileage is at 160000 I have not checked any fuses yet

well that is a good scanner

can we check fuses

we need to take this from scratch , we start from fuses? and i m looking at circuit diagram as we speak .

but do tell me your reference about the magnet strip ?

On the tool depends on what year it is and what software is down loaded on it , Asian / domestic only etc....

if you ASIAN vehicles with ABS capability we are fine .

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

My scanner has the Asian in the import program on it but there's nowhere to select abs for Subaru the bearing that I purchased from Rock Auto is a moog. It has a magnetic strip on the back of the bearing that the sensor rides by

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I have left my work for the day so I will have to check all the fuses tomorrow morning and see what I can come up with this car did not have any ABS traction control problems but it had a bearing noise in the front I replace the front bearings and now I have this traction control problem

also Unplug the ABS module connector and look inside of it for pushed out pins or melting or burned spots

Did you try this

Master Reset Procedure

1-Disconnect battery ( Both Cables ,The Negative & The Positive Cable )
2-Touch Cables together and hold 20 secs and let go
3-Hold Brake pedal down 10 secs
4-Wait 10 minutes and then Reconnect Battery
5-Close all the doors ,hood & trunk .
6-lock the car with key from driver door ( IF your car is Equipped with a bladeless key then just locked with the key Fob)
7- Unlock car & Start your vehicle

ok sounds good , I m online tomorrow from 10 am till 12 pm

so just reply back and i will see it .

Thank You

Chad Farhat ( aka - Jhook1398 )

ASE Certified Tech

also inspection of the magnetic strip to see if it fell during installation if you have not done that already

Thanks

Chad (aka-Jhook1398)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ok. I will. Thanks

you welcome

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

ok, i got a better scanner that shows live data. the speed sensors on the front do not read. we wired the sensors directly to the computer, no plugs. from the wheel there is not any speed data. i can see the rear wheel speed. i am now going to change the front hub assembly to a differnt brand

Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 8 months ago.

Awesome man , great keep me update

Chad

what kind of scanner you got ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

matco tools maximus 2.0

yes that is a nice one

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

i did a master reset. that did nothing. i am trying a different wheel hub. this dont seem to be the problem. but this did start when i replaced the front hubs with moog bearings. no codes or problems until i changed the hubs. i also now have replaced the speed sensor on both front wheels. bypassed the connectors to speed sensors. wired them direct. i also relearned the steering angle

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

new bearings did nothing

how is your connection u made to the wheel sensor how did you hooked it up ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

i now have replaced the both wheel hubs and sensors. the drivers side is now reading. i still dont have a speed reading for the passenger front.

i cut the plug off the speed sensor and the connector on the engine wire harness then wired the speed sensor direct to engine harness. this still dont read. now i have put everything back to factory . rewired the harness. put the connectors back on. install a brand new speed sensor. a new bearing with magnetic strip. it still dont work.

this car came in working fine, it had a wheel bearing noise. we replaced all the bearings. now we have this one that dont work

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

the original speed sensor is still working on the driver side. i have a aftermarket speed sensor on passenger side. intermotor genuine import parts. could this car require a factory oem speed sensor. made by suburu. the original speed sensor end was damaged when mechanic took bearing out