Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Subaru Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

I have a 2012 Subaru Outback. I'm returning to CO after a

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Subaru Outback. I'm returning to CO after a trip to VA. Temps in the upper 90's, heavy traffic in some places and stop and go on the interstates. The check engine light came on. I checked the oil, it was nearly to the add line so I added oil. The coolant was down some as well but at this point I have not added coolant as the engine is still hot. So far the check engine light has not gone off. Is that because the engine is still hot? I'm not driving it anymore tonight but I have 600 miles to go tomorrow to get home. Any thoughts?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 5 months ago.

Welcome,

I have been a professional master mechanic for over 35 years and am happy to help you with this.

That light will come on when a sensor has detected an "out of range" signal from one of the MANY sensors on the car. It has nothing to do with the oil or over heating and if its running ok then its probably just an emissions control sensor and i wouldnt be too worried about driving it home.

When the light comes on it stores a diagnostic code in the computer that the dealer or any repair shop can retrieve and find the problem. Like i said, if its running ok, i would just continue home and have it looked at after you get home.

My goal is that you are satisfied with my answer(s). I strive for a 5 star positive rating. It's the only way i get credit. You can still ask me questions for free after the rating.

Larry

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just to clarify, it's the check engine light (it stays on), the park brake light blinks, the slippery road surface light blinks and the cruise control indicator light blinks. Still okay to drive it across Nebraska tomorrow as long as it's running okay and the stop engine light does not come on?

With those many indicators coming on, you can stop by an autozone, etc...parts store before you leave and they can pull the codes that are stored in computer when that light comes on. They can tell you what the codes mean. They will also check your charging system like the alternator for free because it may be a fault in the alternator for the electrical causing the lights to indicate.