Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years

I hear a Big Bang noise when the a/c is on. Happens usually

Customer Question

I hear a Big Bang noise when the a/c is on. Happens usually when taking off. Sounds like comes from passenger side. 2009 Forester. Temperature outside about 95 degrees. Fluid levels fine. 60000 miles on car.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you checked the coolant level?
Customer: I will Check the coolant. Only 60000 miles
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Oil is good. Recently changed. Engine sounds fine. Didn't check coolant- will need to do that. Don't hear anything unusual when idling. Notice the problem typically when a/c is on and taking off. Sometimes bang is loud and other time not so. Seems to be louder when taking off on in
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Louder on incline. I called the dealer and said to bring it in. They haven't heard of this. I may repair myself. Don't know yet, may have to have the dealer.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Subaru Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

will it ever do this noise with the AC off ?

Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

how are you making out ?

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer