Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.

My Subaru has had a blinking battery and brake lightfor the

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Ryanne. My Subaru has had a blinking battery and brake lightfor the past month or so and recently my ABS light came on. The alternator went out and was replaced last week but the lights are still flickering.
JA: Have you checked the brake light switch? How about the fuses?
Customer: I have not. My boyfriend told me to do some research to find out possible causes and he would check it out later.
JA: What is the model/year of your Subaru?
Customer: 2006 Subaru forester
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was going to take it in to get fixed if he couldn't find anything. We got the battery checked and tried to get the codes read but they said nothing was popping up.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I took it off roading a few times but I never hit anything. we cleaned off the brakes to see if maybe the sensors or something were dirty but it hasn't helped.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Subaru Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,

Did you install an aftermarket alternator?
Also, is the check engine light also on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I believe so but I am at work right now and don't have the paper on me. No, the check engine light has not come on. Just the abs battery and brake light. and they blink sporadically. Sometimes they wont come on all day.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

first step has to be to have the alternator tested again under load. This means with the wipers, headlights, and blower motor on. If the alternator is charging less then 14.2 volts under these conditions,, it's still no good. A lot of the aftermarket will only put out about 13 volts which simply isn't enough.

That leads me to the abs light. First, check the brake fluid level. Silly as it is, if it's low it will kick on the brake light and the abs light and could cause flashing.

Otherwise sorry to say, the abs module has to be read for codes, not the ecm so in most cases a code reader won't work to pull the codes.

Many times it's a wheel speed sensor causing the problem, but there just isn't any way to be sure without a code.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!