peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.

2007 Tribeca - 90k miles- overheating only when outside temp

Customer Question

2007 Tribeca - 90k miles- overheating only when outside temp is above 72 degrees. Radiator & t'sat replaced, water pump and fans fine.
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: v-6 with sport
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've notice throttle body gasket issues on many forums.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: My mechanic suggest I do the above. I think the puddle light recall may have shorted my circuit board.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Subaru Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Has the actual engine temp been tested at all to see what the actual temp is when this is occuring with a temp gun?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No it has not been tested
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Lights flash at times on dash at times
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My local Subaru dealer was supposed to address this issue but had employee problems and the guy was fired. So, I had a local mechanic try and fix it. He replaced the thermostat and radiator. Worked ok for a weeks then, same problem.

I have seen issues in the past before with a faulty reading engine coolant temp sensor sending an incorrect temp signal.This is where the engine itself is not actually over heating but the coolant temp sensor may be acting up at certain temps causing the over heat condition you see and the temp sensor itself may need replaced.

I have also seen issues with leaking cylinder head gasket.This isnt a leak where fluid will leak externally or internally but to where the gasket will leak exhaust past it into the cooling system and cause this here.If a block test was not done I would have a shop do this testing to see if there is a cylinder head gasket issue here at all needing replaced.The test usually takes less then an hour to have done in most cases.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete