Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

My 2004 forester has been accelerating by itself. I can fix

Customer Question

My 2004 forester has been accelerating by itself. I can fix this by stamping on the gas pedal, but it can be scary. The tachometer has been as high as 4 rpms with the car in park. I have replaced the throttle assembly and the entire line from gas pedal to throttle, but the car will still start zooming at random moments. I need help!
Category: Subaru
Expert:  david craig replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** check engine light on?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no

was the throttle position sensor part of the throttlebody that you replaced?

it should have come on the throttlebody assembly

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
checking with the mechanic that did the work. no answer, left a message, waiting for response.

ok thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Still no response to my phone message, I believe the garage has closed for the day at this point. I'll have to wait until tomorrow for an answer to your question.

ok thank you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi David, Just heard from the garage. They have replaced everything from the gas pedal through the throttle body.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The only other suggestion they had was to disconnect the cruise control. Didn't make sense to me since the car isn't in cc when this happens.

well the cruise control is cable operated i believe and is attached to the throttle linkage, which can get stuck and hold the throttle open on occasions....

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can the cruise control activate when I haven't engaged it? Only one of the racing episodes (and there have been several) occurred when I was in Cruise control. Set for 65, zoomed up to around 80!

no it can not engage itself. it is a throttle problem possibly caused by a sticking cruise control cable. even if its not engaged. disconnect the cruise control cable from the throttle linkage and see if that cures it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks, I'll try that. I can sometimes drive for a month or more without it happening so it may be quite a while before it happens again. I've had the car 8 months and it has only happened a half a dozen times.

please let me know how it turns out. then we can take it from there

please dont forget to rate my service....thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi David, It's me again with the self accelerating Forester. I had the cruise control disconnected last Friday. Today the car took off on me again... When I put it in neutral and gave it some gas a big black cloud of smoke blew out the tailpipe and the the car stalled out. It took me four or five tries to start it again. It finally started when I gave it some gas as I turned the ignition. I then drove another 90 miles or so, started it 3 times , no problems. Any further suggestions? ( I haven't rated you yet. Waiting for the problem to be resolved.) Thanks, Keren
Expert:  david craig replied 8 months ago.

Sorry to hear you're still having problem. allow me to get home from my shop and get back to you in a bit. thanks

black exhaust smoke can be caused by one or more leaky fuel injectors, too much fuel pressure (sticking fuel pressure regulator), a faulty MAF sensor or Oxygen sensor, or a engine computer fault. the black puff of smoke is rom the computer dumping too much fuel into the system because it think the car is running lean(not enough airflow) I would suggest looking at your air filter to make sure its clean, cleaning the mass airflow sensor also would be a good idea. maybe pull the vacuum hose off of the fuel pressure regulator to make sure no fuel is present on it.

I contacted Subaru about your acceleration issue and its a chronic problem with the foresters that no one has figured out. They have a few successful cases of reprogramming the computer and a couple more of replacing the computer. That seems to be what the problem is. But there is not one thing that they pinpointed to be the definitive culprit.