rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

I have a 2007 Tribeca, just had 120,000 mile service,

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Tribeca, just had 120,000 mile service, running Subaru synthetic oil. Now I have tappet noise, that wasn't there before. Why?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

The best I could tell you right now is to tell Subaru about this right a way. They may want to have the car towed to them.

Thanks, Ron

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

It's also possible they didn't put in enough oil.