Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

I have a 1999 Outback 30th Anniversary Edition. It's an

Customer Question

Hi Kevin, I'm Tim. I have a 1999 Outback 30th Anniversary Edition. It's an automatic. The problem I'm experiencing happens most often when I am traveling at highway speed on downhills (especially steep downhill grades). When I touch the brakes, I hear an scraping/abrasive noise - it sounds like my car just bottomed out and scraped the pavement - and my rpm jumps from 2K to 3.5k or a little more. I try to avoid this by not getting too much speed on downhill grades, and tapping my brakes prior to grades (I'm in the foothills of the Sierra in California - lots of hills). This can also happen in lower gears if the right conditions are met. I am assuming it has something to do with the transmission and/or the transaxle. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 5 months ago.

Hi. THis does sound like a transmission issue. Have you checked the transmission fluid level yet? A low level can cause this.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have checked it and it is not low.

You checked the level with the engine running?