rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

Have a 2015 xtrek and getting check engine light

Customer Question

Category: Subaru
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

You have 2 ways to go, you can just get the codes read for free at most car parts stores, OR, you can get the complete computer scanned by getting the codes and finding out what to do to fix the problem. I vote for the second option.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi- I won't need this after all. My daughter is driving it, checked the manual and read to tighten fuel cap. She did and the light went out.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please don't charge my card
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

That didn't fix it, I assure you that.

You need to have it checked for safety reasons too.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you - my card will not be charged right?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

I have no control over payments, I'm an expert here and gave you expert advice which require you to rate me for my time and expertise.

Thanks again for a positive rating.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will give the worst rating if my card is charged. I cancelled with you before we even started other than you telling me to go have the computer checked. I have a photo of my incident number and will verify I was not charged before giving any rating.