Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

Why does my 2005 Subaru overheat coming up a steap ll? It

Customer Question

why does my 2005 Subaru overheat coming up a steap hill? It has the 6 cyl engine in it.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you

what is the mileage on it ?

a restricted coolant system will cause that ex ( radiator clogged ) , do a coolant flush service if you haven't not done so

a weak water pump will do that since going up a hill you putting car underload and requires more coolant flow which the water pump circulate the coolant around ,so if water pump weak it will show under load ( like going up a hill)

has the car ever ran hot and hit the red mark & u drove on it?

the coolant system needs to checked for a head gasket problem if are experiencing a loss of coolant ?

i would do a coolant flush and new thermostat

perform a coolant pressure test , just to be sure , no leak and no head gasket problem

if all that checks out then i go to my water pump

Hope I was helpfull to you ,Let me know if you need anything else on it

A Positive rating is Much Aprecciated

This Post Will Stay Open for you to Come Back And Ask Me Any Follow Up Questions You May have On This Issue Even after You Rate Me

Thank You

Chad Farhat ( aka -Customer)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Chad, the car has 125,000 miles, and while I have not flushed it, the fluid is as clean and full as it was when I bought it @ 95,000 miles.The car cools off immediately after I level out, but I am concerned that this happens. Are they known for this? When I had a 4cyl model many years ago, it was not a problem.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It looks like I just changed the coolant, but it hasn't been touched.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It has gotten very close to the red line, but never in the red zone, and as I said, when I leveled out, the temp came right down. It happens every time I go up a specific hill in the summer heat.

ok i m going to look up any tsb on this model year and see if there is an issue , but it acting like a weak water pump or restricted radiator .

and if there is any I will send them to you .

This is the only TSB under Cooling issue ,for this model year

2005 Subaru Outback F6-3.0L

Save Article

Select Print Option Complete Article Text Only Image(s) Only

NUMBER: 09-45-06 DATE: 11/28/06 APPLICABILITY: All Models SUBJECT: Radiator Cap INTRODUCTION The purpose of this bulletin is to provide the inspection and cleaning procedure for the radiator cap. Whenever servicing the coolant/radiator, it is imperative that the filler neck and cap are clean of all contaminants and debris. If foreign material is left in the filler neck sealing area, it will become embedded in the rubber seal and will prevent the cap from sealing properly. Before making the determination that the radiator cap is faulty, perform the following repair procedure. REPAIR PROCEDURE/INFORMATION Caution: The engine cooling system is under pressure and may be extremely hot. To prevent personal injury or vehicle damage, be sure to take appropriate precautions while performing this procedure. 1) Wash and clean the rubber seal surface(s) "A" using clean water and a soft bristle brush. 2) Carefully open the negative pressure valve. Using clean water and a soft bristle brush wash and clean the mating surface "B" between the valve and the rubber seal. Note: Clean thoroughly. Failure to do so will prevent the cap from holding pressure. 3) After cleaning, check valve-opening pressure of cap using a cap tester according to the applicable service manual. 4) Clean the filler neck sealing surface of any and all contaminants. Note: If the valve opening pressure stays within the predetermined specification the cap is reusable. Only replace caps that failed the pressure test. Special note: If the vehicle has any record of overheating the cap may not be reusable even afier cleaning due to the deterioration of the sealing materials. WARRANTY/CLAIM INFORMATION

Zoom and Print Options

For vehicles under the Basic New Car Limited Warranty period, this repair may be claimed using the table.

Zoom and Print Options

Disclaimer

© 2016 ALLDATA, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use (Version 2.0.13792)

since there is not a nevidence of a leak or noise and fans are coming on and the coolant is clean like you said .

1- I would do a bleeding procedure and the coolant system, make sure we have no trapped air

2- I would check my radiator cap , you can test with a coolant tester that is opening and closing correctly

3- check my thermostat for not getting stuck and opening at operating temperature .

4- how is your heat , does the hot air temp increase when u have it on setting of max heat , sometimes if we have a air bubble in the heater core system it will be evident under load .

5- doing a pressure test for checking for a beginning of head gasket issue is a good idea, they can do that by hooking up the tester and let the car run and see if the needle vibrate after the thermostat open and running at operating temperature

6- a weak water pump will show under load ,like going up hill ,or giving the car a kick down

have you tried on level service to give it a kick down and see if the temp needle go up

let me know thanks

Chad

are you losing any coolant ,are you adding to it at all ,or all good there on coolant level ?