Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Subaru Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Subaru Diagnostics
18617752

GOT AN IMPREZA 2009 DRIVEN BY A COLLEGE GIRL THAT WILL NOT

Customer Question

GOT AN IMPREZA 2009 DRIVEN BY A COLLEGE GIRL THAT WILL NOT CHECK/CHANGE HER OIL. IT FINALLY CAUGHT UP TO HER. THE ENGINE WAS MAKING A FUNNY NOISE, SHE PULLED OVER AND TURNED IT OFF. IT WOULD NOT START AGAIN. GOT IT TO A SHOP(NOT SURE HOW) AND THEY TOLD HER IT WAS OUT OF OIL. WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF GETTING IT RUNNING AGAIN? MY WIFE IS CURRENTLY ON A RESCUE MISSION TO PICK HER UP.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.

If the engine was allowed to run out of oil, this will quickly damage internal engine parts. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here, but the chances of this running again are slim, without a major repair bill. If the engine does start and run again, the noises that were hard will more than likely now be permanent, as without oil, the metal has been damaged. And running the engine while it is knocking/ticking/etc will put extra strain on other engine parts and the engine will fail again soon there after. Again, sorry to be the bearer of bad news! If you found this answer helpful, please help me and leave a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.

..