Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

Engine cranks but wont turn over,periodically. Check engine

Customer Question

Engine cranks but wont turn over,periodically. Check engine light and cruise light come on. Subaru Forester 2008. Stalls out at lights and turning into a parking spot.
JA: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?
Customer: It will turn over after a few minutes of pumping the gas. Just had new spark plugs put in and an air filter.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I can't afford the Subaru prices and they are not at all helpful. I buy the parts from the dealership but a mechanic I know installs them for me.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I was thinking it may be one of the fuel sensors.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Subaru Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am a certified Subaru technician, and can gladly help you with this.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

The first thing you need to do for me is scan the engine for codes and let me know what you have. You can go to any parts store and they can scan for free.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

You might need an update for extended engine cranking. Also check that the MAF sensor is plugged in, and that the air intake hose clamps are tight. You said you have and air filter and plugs installed. This requires removal of the air box and pipe. So scan the codes. Check the connector and air box. Let me know what you find.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

You also could try cleaning the throttle body.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help.

Thanks Dan

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Dan again, hoping you are satisfied with my service.

Could you please rate the answer, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!