Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.

We bought a 2016 Subaru Impreza and drove it off the lot on

Customer Question

We bought a 2016 Subaru Impreza and drove it off the lot on April 28th. The car performed beautifully for my wife for the first 3 weeks; then suddenly it would not start in the morning. The starter cranked but the engine would not turn over. We called AAA and they check out the battery (good!) starter motor test (normal!) charging system test (no problem!). After helping us get it started my wife drove the car for a couple of days and then the same thing happened again. When then had the car towed by Subaru Roadside Service to the dealer for service. They kept the vehicle for 2 days but could not replicate the problem and said all check out.
We picked up the car and 2 days later the same thing. Again, the car was towed to the Subaru dealer and they said they have checked everything - - fuel pump, fuel lines, etc etc. and talked with Subaru headquarters. We now have the car back again as no issue was found by Subaru. The only difference during the 3 weeks that we owned the car is that my wife filled it up with Regular gas at a Chevron station
In all instances when the car would not start, the started motor cranks and the it seems as if the engine is not getting gasoline. In all instances when the car would not start, it was facing uphill. In order to start the car, I rolled it backwards into a driveway and was able to roll it into the street and point it downhill. After sitting that way for a few minutes, the car started.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 4 months ago.

sounds like fuel pump is failing can you make it act up at the dealer?