rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a brand new WRX STI 2016 : 1200 miles : Car ran fine

Customer Question

I have a brand new WRX STI 2016
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Subaru. The Subaru Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 1200 miles
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Car ran fine until the other day after I filled it with Costco Gas 93 octane. Now when the turbo starts to engage the car starts to shut down and back fires and takes longer to start. Costco is not reporting problems with their Gas however what else could it be
JA: How many miles are on the car? How old is the battery?
Customer: Car is Brand New
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Subaru Mechanic should know about your Subaru?
Customer: 2016
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Subaru Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

I've seen this happen many times, and once you get this confirmed at the dealer that the fuel is no good, they write it up, you have them fix it and give the bill to Costco. Inform them in advance what happened to you too.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That's my main Question
Would bad fuel cause all those issues I explained
Especially a turbocharged engine
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.

Most definitely.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.