Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Tech, 32 Years, Foreign.Domestic, Diagnostic Specialist

I asked you a question about my 98 Subaru a few days ago you

Customer Question

I asked you a question about my 98 Subaru a few days ago you responded by sending me a diagram of the stuck gear shifter in park my followup question is can a faulty brake light switch cause the same thing?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 months ago.

Hello I am not seeing any previous post from you, can you resend the question in full? thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sure. I have a 98 forester the problem is I cannot move the gear shift out of park unless I stick a screwdriver in the whole to release the shifter from park. also I notice my third brake light does not work my regular brake lights work. my question is can a faulty brake light switch cause this problem is all related somehow.

well, the circuit is not setup that way, high mount and regular brake lights work off same circuit of brake light switch BUT,, i have run into cases whereas the brake light switch can be faulty and allow reg lights and not high mount light to work,.We know it is not a fuse, but, I too lean to switch but/ could? be a wiring harness issue, i suspect switch, you have several components in play, switches, module etc but you lose 3rd light and shift interlock at same time? then switch is first on my list, i realize not the 100% but I am not there and have to send suggests etc

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
your saying I should replace the brake light switch

yes i am, i am also saying I lean to the switch but,,other possibles do exist, You lose a brake light and no shift interlock we even would do the switch first in the shop

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok because right now in order to use my Subaru I have to leave the screwdriver in the whole to use the shifter and drive the car

understood, You asked if a possible relationship, I said yes, need to start with switch, I lean to this,Sent all I can not being there, trying to help as well as answer your questions about relationship to problem and possibles

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I checked the 20 amp brake fuse and its ok I took my test light to see if I was getting power to the high mount brake lights no power so tomorrow I will replace the brake switch.