tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

Traveling across country on I10 from AZ to FL (hot temps!)

Customer Question

Traveling across country on I10 from AZ to FL (hot temps!) in our 2010 Outback with 126,000 miles - just had a complete 125,000 dealer service. engine temp light went on last night after 5 hour of highway driving, but went off when we turned off A/C. No dealers open today (Sunday) where we are - what to do? We are a mom/daughter and I (mom) know a bit about cars...
JA: How is the air flow? Have you checked the hoses?
Customer: Not yet - made it to our hotel last night (it was late) I need to figure out what to do this morning
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I'd like to continue on, but don't want to ruin my car, so just want to know what is best
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Subaru Mechanic should know about your Subaru?
Customer: Well maintained, but high miles - also just had that service
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Subaru Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 6 months ago.

Hi,the a/c puts a additional load on the engine so by turning it off you helped decrease the load and prevent the engine from overheating,did the red light come on or yellow warning light?It's best to wait this out if you don't want to ruin the engine or possibly strand yourself,there are many possibilities that can cause the overheating,low coolant,electric fan failure ,thermostat ....I think a qualified pro should take a look at this before you continue preferably the dealer if possible to wait till tomorrow,thanks