Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

I have a 1998 Subaru forester I cannot press the shifter

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Subaru forester I cannot press the shifter lever to move the shifter out of park
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

Are you able to get it out of park using the screwdriver?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
as long as I leave the screwdriver in the hole im able to shift from parf to any gear
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
can I replace the part that's doing this and if so whats the name of the part and is it available from Subaru?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Ok

What happens on these is the rod that the button actually moves inside the shifter handle is made out of plastic and it breaks. When it breaks it won't pull the pin up out of the groove so you can move the shifter. The replacement part is made of metal (go figure) so it doesn't break and cause this issue.

You have to take the shifter assembly apart to access it. I am sending a diagram along that should help.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

The part is available from Subaru, take the diagram with you as I cannot remember the exact name of the part.