Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

I have a 2006 Subaru Outback, with about 67,000 miles on it.

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Subaru Outback, with about 67,000 miles on it. On my way home from work yesterday, the cruise control and check engine light came on. The car began losing power and started overheating. It was blowing small amount of white smoke from tail pipes when I pulled over. I checked the fluids. Last vehicle check was about 4 mths ago at Cornerstone Auto. However, coolant was empty and oil wasn't registering on stick at all. I filled coolant and put two quarts of 5/30 in car. Vehicle now makes a terrible rattle when I accelerate and some white smoke came out the pipes. Car is heating up fast.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

Hi there,

This doesn't sound like good news I am sorry to say. This sounds like the car might have damage to the head gasket and also inside the engine. Not that the oil and coolant is mixing, but the misfire/loss of power could be a result of coolant burning instead of fuel. This will cause the white smoke, and the overheating. With the car being so low on oil, the rattling sound could be a result of something inside the engine coming apart.

I am not sure what you would like to do, or can do on it yourself. Honestly it probably shouldn't be driven and should be towed to a garage unless the head gaskets or an engine swap is something you can do on your own.

Sorry to say, but this situation sounds bad from here.

please, let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you with this.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again, hadn't heard back from you so I thought I would touch base and see if you need further assistance with this?