Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Subaru Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic

Fan /AC isn't running. : Not yet. It was hot as heck out

Customer Question

Fan for vent/AC isn't running.
JA: Have you checked the Freon level? Have you checked the hoses?
Customer: Not yet. It was hot as heck out (I'm in Phoenix) and in the middle of work.
JA: What year is your Phoenix?
Customer: It's 2016 in Phoenix. But my Subaru Outback is 2011.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet. I literally drove 1.5 miles from one office to the other. Noticed the fan wasn't working, turned it off/on, then went in the office. I was in long pants/long shirt and it's 106 degrees out. I couldn't do any work at the time.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Never had any issue previously. It was working earlier in the day.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Subaru Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 4 months ago.

I have been a professional master mechanic for over 35 years and am happy to help you with this.

Have you tried moving it from A/C to heat and see if fan cmoes on..let me know please.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Yeah. Turn it on, off, AC on, AC off (there is no AC to heat), car on/off, eventually it started blowing, but very weak. Air was cold but seemed like something was becoming the vent. I changed the engine air filter and cabin air filter. They weren't that dirty. If I turn the fan off, then turn it back on the fan won't run.