john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15 years as a auto tech

I have a Subaru legacy 2006 and it keeps overheating. We

Customer Question

I have a Subaru legacy 2006 and it keeps overheating. We have replaced the head gaskets in 2013 and thought it fixed the problem. Turns out the last person put a thermostat in that wasn't for the car. Changed that then it was fine for awhile. This year it started happening again. We changed the thermostat again and the sending unit. It was good for 2 days and started happening AGAIN! Do I need a new radiator? Or what do you think I should do next?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 4 months ago.

are the fans working?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's been sitting running for about a 1/2 hour. It is really hot in the engine compartment and the actual is off. It has not over heated yet. The fans are working. I thought it may be the water pump.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
A/c is off is what I meant to say

is it losing coolant?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it's overheating out of the radiator. Why do you only ask 1 question at a time? This is my only car and it's becoming to hard to drive when I have to pull over every half hour to fill the resevior. Do you know the problem or not? Get to the answer!

that's all the signs of a head or head gasket failure ..I would have a combustion leak test performed to verify..or pull the spark plugs and check for coolant wash or coolant smell on the spark plugs

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No smell on the plugs. Now the lower hose I cold upper is hot and over heating

its either water pump not circulating or a failed head pull the water pump and check the impeller...if its good id pull the heads

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will but so far none of what you have said has helped. The heads were changed by a certified subaru technology and so far the water pump is working. I am thinking it is the radiator and may be clogged. When the cap is off and car is running the water just boils over. Bottom hose is cold top hose is burning hot

that's all the signs of a failed head gasket or cracked or warpped head

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok I'll pass that on to my boyfriend (certified tech)

have him do a combustion leak test...I also certified ase master and Subaru ford and bmw..

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will do