Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.

The heater on my h6 2000 has stopped working,is this a

Customer Question

Hi the heater on my h6 2000 has stopped working,is this a potential head gasket issue?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Subaru. The Subaru Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It's an outback h6 2000 model, the a/c works fine but the heater has stopped working, I just need to know what to look for if it could be related to a head gasket issue?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No
JA: OK! The Subaru Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Subaru Mechanic should know about your Subaru?
Customer: No that's all thanks
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Subaru Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,

Have you checked the coolant and engine oil levels recently?

Do you hear any gurgling noise in the cabin, more so first drive up the street after cold startup?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The coolant/oil levels are fine and no gurgling that I have heard. It may just be the heating element but I read somewhere that a damaged/broken element may relate to head gasket problems. I have read that the 2000 model out backs are prone to these issues
Customer: replied 4 months ago.