tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience

1999 Subaru forester the AT TEMP light comes on as soon as

Customer Question

1999 Subaru forester the AT TEMP light comes on as soon as the engine is started. I assume the sensor is bad, but don't know where the sensor is located?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 4 months ago.

Hi, were you having any transmission related problems ,shifting hard binding in turn etc....

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The light comes on before I drive it, I just got the engine running, after repairing the heads. I have not driven it yet, but as soon as the engine is started the trans temp light is on. This should be fixed prior to driving
Expert:  tamaz replied 4 months ago.

The AtTemp light could be caused by a number of things, we need to know which code is being set so we could diagnose properly,a very common problem is the transfer clutch duty solenoid which would cause binding in turns

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If the AT temp light is not just a temp indicator, then is more info for what it is indicating? Is there a WEB link that gives a description of the trouble codes, how do I get the trouble codes, can I get the codes with a OBII reader. Is there a list of transmission code numbers and what they mean.
If it is the transfer clutch duty solenoid, is there a web link or other source for more info on how to fix it. The tech manual I have for the car has very little info for the trans.
The engine had a bad valve, which is why the car was free, I rebuilt the pair of heads and it will finally get driven next week. I wonder if just driving it will reset the trans codes....
Expert:  tamaz replied 4 months ago.

Hi,I think we should drive the car first,the light should come on at key on,if there is a malfunction the light will blink.Recheck all wiring you may have removed when the engine work is done and drive the car and let me know what happens with the light,if blinking a stop at the auto parts store may be necessary,their scanners may read trans codes and plus they read them for free.Though this website i may be able to give you all the info you need, thanks