vertual technician
vertual technician, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  Over 13 years working on imports and domestic cars

My elderly father turned the car off when it was still in

Customer Question

My elderly father turned the car off when it was still in drive and left the car parked that way for 4 days. Now he can't get the car into park to turn it on. I'm a couple of states away, can you give me advice to help him please?
Submitted: 5 months ago via
Category: Subaru
Expert:  vertual technician replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.Can he move it to neutral? It will start in neutral as well. But if he didn't put it in park then he left the key on as well. So it probably needs jumped so it can go in drive. Or take the battery out and charge it and then put it back in and the problem should be gone.Let me know if this helps so I can continue to assist.Thanks
However depending on the yr of the vehicle, beside the shifter there should be a button. If he pushes the button then as he pushes it he can slide it into park. But I think the majority of the problem is the battery should be dead.
However let me know if this isn't the case and I'll assist further.Thanks
Expert:  vertual technician replied 4 months ago.
I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.