FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

2009 subaru impreza with a start stall condition. Checked

Customer Question

2009 subaru impreza with a start stall condition. Checked crank sensor, has rpm, no current or history faults seen. Air filter is dirty so tried to start with out and same condition. start stall. Throttle positon shows it is moving, CTS and ATS sensors reading. fuel trim at short term is 0 and long term is -4.7.
Category: Subaru
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
fuel pressure is 42psi and holds with key off.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you for the question. Can you tell me if it does this every time you start the vehicle or only after it has sat for a while?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Every time
If I try hard to get her throttle it will sometimes struggle and keep barely running. But then stall
It feels as though it is loosing injector pulse
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Feather throttle
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 6 months ago.

Thank you. The most common cause of this I have found on your vehicle is the throttle body itself. These fail frequently and cause this to occur as the throttle plate does not move as it should. I typically pull the intake tube and move the pedal up and down and observe the actuation of the throttle plate to make sure it is moving smoothly.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
These are electric throttles, drive by wire, if it stopped or responded slow or not at all it would instantly throw a fault. Also every once in a while right after it starts the motor will rev briefly if you give it throttle and when monitored the throttle is actuating.
The problem is the computer is sending the signal to run but either the injectors are not pulsing or the coils are shutting off? I think it's file delivery issue. It starts instantly off the initial turn of key then dies like you shit the fuel off to it and not shut the key of.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I found issue.
MAF.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 6 months ago.

I am glad you found it. I typically start with checking the throttle movement as I mentioned as I have had these fail without any codes as the position sensor can be just slightly off or the motor can be slow to react. The next step is usually checking the signal from the MAF. Did it set a code or was it ust reading slightly off?