Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.

New filler neck was installed on a 2005 forester.

Customer Question

New filler neck was installed on a 2005 forester. Intermittent difficulty filling tank. Pump shut off, fuel pools around filler opening. This happens apparently every other fillup. Neck will accept fuel poured in via gravity. from a can. Also, with fuel cap off and engine running, check engine light does not appear.
JA: Diagnosing the correct check engine code is the key to getting a quick fix. How many miles are on the car?
Customer: about 215000 km
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: no. local mechanic (not the people who installed filler neck) removed neck, vent, and tank. checked everything and put it all back. filling worked -- once. then trouble reappeared on next fillup.
JA: OK! The Subaru Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Subaru Mechanic should be aware of about your Subaru?
Customer: not that i know of. just began driving it recently. not much mileage.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Subaru Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Roy replied 5 months ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist there is a vent valve for the evap system that is the most common failure for this issueit is normally open to allow air to escape while fueling. it closes when the system checks itself for leaks. it tends to stick closed and this is the result. did anyone check this?? Roy
Expert:  Roy replied 5 months ago.
are you there to answer???