Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

2002 legacy outback wagon ,new head gaskets heads done,put

Customer Question

2002 legacy outback wagon ,new head gaskets heads done,put back together, spins over no hint of starting, give a wiff of starter fluid lights up but doesnt start,pulled fuel lines off rail to see if i had fuel up there and did, got sprayed, plenty of fuel in tank , i hear pump run when key is turned on,not sure where to go from here, could it be air bound?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 5 months ago.
Hi there.If by "lights up" you mean it starts momentarily with starting fluid, and if the fuel pump is indeed bringing fuel up to the fuel rail at 43.5 psi or so, then what might be missing is injector-pulse. This is quite common when the battery has been disconnected on vehicles equipped with an anti-theft system. Is your Subaru so equipped? If so, do you have any of the original keys or remote fobs capable of arming and disarming the anti-theft? If yes, then the issue might be related to a missing signal from the crank sensor.Please let me know what you find so we can continue.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thank you, I've disconected the battery to replace it with new one ,the key is a replacement key from hardware store
is the vehicle equipped with anti-theft? If so, do you have any normal means to disarm it?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I dont know what other means of disarming, Im not sure it has anti theft i just got the car, in the as condition, can i pull a fuse or disconnect the harness?
In that case, it probably doesn't have possibility is no injector pulse. Do you have a Noid light to confirm that's what's preventing the engine from starting? How about a scan tool to see if there are any trouble codes that can point us in the right direction?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Juan, Im sorry but dont have eather ,at this time, could it be that the lines off the filter to the rail maybe on the wrong rail line ,or it does not matter, the lower line is obviously smaller but the top two are the same,one gets the line from the filter, and by lites up it fires but does not stay has spark ,air what would stop the fuel injectors from releasing the fuel? Does the fuel shut off in passenger compartment have anything to do with it? ive never delt with it before ,and after disconnecting the battery how long would i have to crank the engine over before it fires ?because i 've repeatedly disconnec ted the battery do that make a difference?
The only thing that fires the injectors is the onboard computer, and it does it once it has processed input signals from several sensors such as those that detect cam, crank and throttle position. So, if one or more of those signals is/are bad or missing, then the engine will not start regardless of how many times the battery is connected and disconnected. Without you having any of the essential diagnostic tools, the only thing I can suggest is for you to go through all the connections and make sure those are clean and tight.I wish Subaru, just to mention one of the many automakers that are doing the same thing, had made their cars easier to diagnose, without having to use so many tools to do so. Sadly, that isn't the case.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
im going to get a read out tool for the codes what about the fuel lines if i have them reversed/
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hey Juan ,im a construction worker, who likes to tinker with things , i dont have any mechanical training, and didnt get the scanning tool but figured out the gas lines must be the answer , it was i figure im the one that should be payed and have five stars next to my name, you owe me, you were not of any help except that yoy responded right away for that i say thanks, ***** ***** not feel you are intitled to the remainder of the fee.
Well, I don't know what you're expectations were, but mine were that you would put things back in the same order and place as you took them out. As it is, it looks like you're punishing me for not being there to tell you what you were doing wrong and that doesn't seem fair.Anyways, the important thing is that you got your car running again, and for that I'm glad.Best Regards.