George H.
George H., Subaru Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15 + Years

I think a typical question- had a flat on a 2013 Subaru Outback

Customer Question

I think a typical question- had a flat on a 2013 Subaru Outback not repairable)- getting some feedback from tire places about replacing all the tires though the others have 20K miles wear. Even tire shaving of new tire is being proposed to get within a close tolerance of the other 3 tires. Sounds ridiculous
JA: How many miles are on the tires?
Customer: let me check
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I have the car at NTB car has 27,500 miles on it
JA: Is there anything else the Subaru Mechanic should be aware of about your Subaru?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Subaru Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  George H. replied 5 months ago.
Hello I will help you with your question, With the AWD you must maintain the tire within 3/8" circumference to avoid damage to differentials or transfer case. It is true that if the remaining three tires are worn then you must replace all 4 to maintain the specification. Many times I have done costly repairs or replacement when this was not followed. Far exceeding the cost of a set of tires. Please let me know how I can help you with your questions Thank you