Kevin, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician

I currently have an 09 Forester XT with no engine under the

Customer Question

I currently have an 09 Forester XT with no engine under the hood. The engine blew after a shop tuned the car. At any rate the shop said I could probably get away with just a short block replacement as from visual inspection the heads looked okay. They did say it would need valve work. I'm not sure if I should go the short block or long block route. I've already spent a fortune on a car that no longer runs so I'm just trying to get it back on the road.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.
Hi I'm Kevin it's just a question of money really the short block and valve work or the long block should come ready to go . Have they priced both options
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is no longer at the same shop. I am trying to find a competent place to take it to. I've considered a JDM replacement engine but wasn't sure if that would cause issues since not american version of engine.
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.
i would recommend having a long block as this makes sure no further issues with the lower half of engine and is probably the most cost effective repair
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.
please remember to rate my service