mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco

Subaru Impreza 2.5i: Good evening. I have a 2008 Subaru Impreza

Customer Question

Good evening. I have a 2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i. The compressor seems to have ceased working for the AC. I have a new (rebuilt) compressor, refrigerant, oil, expansion valve, vacuum, and manifold gauges. The Chilton repair manual gives basic steps on the R&R of the compressor, however, I am wondering if there is a more detailed, step by step instruction I can follow? How to loosen the belts, etc.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  CHRIS ZAPANTIS replied 5 months ago.
Hello Im Chris and im trying to find a better procedure diagram for you. These manuals are basically made for mechanics.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thank you.
this is crazy Subarus instructions tell you to cut the belts off lol
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'd rather not do that...
This is right from Subaru its nuts.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hmmm......Replace one or both belts?
Im going to opt out and maybe someone else has better instructions. These wont help you much.
you dont need to replace if they arent cracked.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay, thanks. I would just like a step by step if possible. The Chilton repair manual as you said, is written for mechanics, and though I'm okay, I'd rather have more detail than guess.
Expert:  cardoctor74 replied 5 months ago.
Different expert here are you looking for a step by step to replace belts or the compressor thanks .
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
R&R the compressor and re-charge the AC system. Sorry I missed your response.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you still there Tom, or did I miss you?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I look forward to any help you can provide. Thank you!
Expert:  Kurt Kennedy replied 5 months ago.
Hell. I saw the previous expert opt'd out. Just wanted to know if you still needed help? I read the first few comments, the reason they have you cut the belt, is b.c. it is a stretch to fit / self tension belt. its not a normal belt with a tensinor. The only way to remove is to cut. Let me know if you still need help!Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Kurt. Thanks but I got it done. I ended up replacing the compressor belt. I appreciate your response.
Awesome. Glad you got it done! Just wanted to chime in and make sure.Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. Freaked me out a bit. My old boss was Kurt Kennedy and I was wondering how he knew so much about Subarus since he could barely operate a printer. Appreciate your help.
Expert:  mike switzer replied 5 months ago.
you know for next time if there is. they call to cut the belt off because it is a stretch belt and it is quicker to cut it off. they do have tools that you can purchase at napa or other parts store that are designed for removing and installing stretch belts. they make life a breeze.