Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

Subaru Legacy GT Limited: 05 legacy gt Just got done fixing

Customer Question

05 legacy gt
Just got done fixing p0171
Was an oily maf sensor
Test drove it after and it stalled on me. Started back up didn't stall, it was a short drive home though. Flashing sport light and cc light and reads p0700
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,This means the transmission control module requested the check engine light to come on. When the check engine light came on, that caused the cc light to come on. When the check engine light comes on, the cc is disabled. This is normal.What I would do here is clear the code and drive the car again. If the car was rolling when it stalled, that will set a code in the tcm and kick all these lights on. You may get it coming back on unless you have a scan tool that can erase the codes from the tcm, but resetting might clear enough to stop the light from coming on. And driving the car could return the system to normal.Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I cleared the code. Now it won't even start. Doesn't read any codes
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
That doesn't make sense, is the engine cranking and not starting or no cranking at all?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I heard somewhere else to unplug your tcm and plug it back in, I don't think I put it back in all the way. Put that back in, started, rough low idle, gave it a little gas, it revved and stalled
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
Okdid you disconnect the battery at any time during the procedure? Either disconnecting the tcm or while working on the maf sensor?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I didnt
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
OkI would double check the connection on the maf and if it's good, disconnect it and see if the car will start and idle. Also, check and make sure you didn't accidentally miss a vacuum hose off. This would create a vacuum leak and could cause the problem.Let me know.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It idles with the maf disconnected. Maf was connected properly. I looked and there aren't any vacuume hoses or anything near the air filter that I may have knocked off
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I cleaned the connection as well
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
OkIt sounds to me like you are going to have to replace the maf to solve this. It goes into a default setting when you unplug it. A factory preset, so whatever it's seeing with the maf plugged in, is not the correct info and causing a bad mixture which is making the car stall.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Would a faulty maf sensor result in a choppy sounding turbo spool? This has been a problem as well
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
Maybe, I can't be sure. If you change it and don't have a different sound, I would check the oil line to the turbo and change the banjo bolt. This is where the filter is and it could be plugged and starving the turbo for oil
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay, I put a brand new maf sensor on there. Drove it, idles low, stalls when u let off from high Rev p0700 again misfire cylinders 1 2 and 4 and something else popped up that was only letters no numbers. I'd read it off to u but it went away
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
All you did to this car is clean the maf sensor?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I cleaned and oiled the air filter, this is when all this began, i cleaned the maf and you advised me to get a new one, I did and all this happened on the test drive
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
I can't account for the misfire codes showing up after replacing the maf sensor. When you have 3 out of 4 cylinders misfiring like this it acts more like a timing issue to me then a problem with the mass air flow sensor. I have never seen one get worse after installing the new maf.I would be careful running this without checking the timing belt or doing a compression test. I would still think the maf were bad if the car will idle with it unplugged, but if you have a strange sound in the turbo and now with 3 cylinders misfiring, i really think the timing belt may have jumped time. I've never seen 3 coils fail simultaneously like this. I would really check the timing before driving the car otherwise you could damage the valves.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How in the hell did all this start happening after simply cleaning the air filter??? Now I've got to worry about timing?? This motor had 13000 on it this doesn't make any sense
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
i don't know how this would happen from cleaning the air cleaner and maf sensor. I truly don't think they are the factor here. Can you take the air filter off and run it with the maf plugged in and see what happens?This is a truly bizarre situation, I am just concerned about misfiring on 3 out of 4 cylinders. I just wonder if something happened with the air filter and if it's plugging up the air flow. It's the only thing I could see as the air filter causing this. I just don't want to see bent valves. I am not trying to scare you but I don't want to see it happen.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Let's just say... hypothetically of course, that my girlfriend filled the tank last. Do you think putting 91 octane instead of 93 could cause this to happen?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
The 91 octane shouldn't unless you have it modded somehow with a different computer program in it, I do this with my mustang GT and have no choice but to run 93 octane in it.However, what if by some chance the station has an issue with water in the fuel? Might be worth disconnecting the fuel line and pumping some gas into a clear jar, then wait for it to settle and see if there is a bunch of water in there. This would cause the misfires and the poor running under load.