Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.

JA: . What seems to be the problem? Customer:

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: I have a 2005 forester (my daughters car) 3 weeks all the dashboard warning lights came on - had the alternator changed, seemed to be ok - this week all the lights came on again - had a code for an oxygen sensor but my mechanic says the alternator was bad and thinks the sensor code is the result of that and not enough current was reaching the sensor - they are replacing the alternator - any thoughts?
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: i think they said the code # ***** 13
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Subaru Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: no - car is in the shop but I'm trying to determine if they have a clue or not - again I found it odd that the alternator would pass all the tests 3 weeks ago when installed and then go bad. this is my daughters car for college and I cant have her in it without being sure the problem has been fixed and i cant keep taking it to the shop
JA: OK! The Subaru Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Subaru Mechanic should be aware of about your Subaru?
Customer: I don't think so - what are the next steps here, do i stay on the website and wait to hear from you?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Subaru Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.
Hi there,It is possible the alternator not sending enough voltage caused the O2 sensor code.That being said, if the alternator has failed again, it's probably an aftermarket alternator and not a Subaru alternator. I usually tell folks to start with the known issue, which in this case is the alternator. Then clear the codes and see if the check engine light returns. If it does, then in this case the sensor would have to be replaced. The car is safe to drive even with the O2 sensor code in it. The other lights coming on when the check engine light is on is normal. This is a safety feature Subaru puts into the computer so the car can't take off on it's own with the electronic throttle.Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.Thank you so much!
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.
HI there,Just thought I would check on you and see if you need any further assistance with this?