Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

Replaced the Alternator yesterday, battery checked as good

Customer Question

Replaced the Alternator yesterday, battery checked as good 100% charge. Car will start, drove it 18 miles last night, stopped for gas. Battery dead. Recharged battery over night, car started. Mechanic said it could be voltage regulator. I am trying to determine how to evaluate the condition of voltage regulator.
JA: Battery issues can be tough to diagnose - lots of things to consider. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Battery checked and good, 12.6 amps 100% charge. Alternator replaced.
JA: Is there anything else the Subaru Mechanic should be aware of about your Subaru?
Customer: No, all other issues are working as designed. Only non working feature is the compass in the mirror. Not related to current issue.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Subaru Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 10 months ago.
Hi thereThe voltage regulator is part of the alternator on this car. The best method for testing is to check the charging voltage. At idle and under full load. This means wipers, blower and headlights all on. The alternator should be putting out 14.2 volts minimum under this condition. If it's not, then there is an undercharge issue. You can test this with a volt meter. The fact that the battery and brake lights are not on indicates that there is some charge, there may not be enough however.Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.Thank you so much!