George H.
George H., Subaru Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15 + Years
13574682

I have a 2005 subaru legacy 2.5i automatic and I am looking

Customer Question

I have a 2005 subaru legacy 2.5i automatic and I am looking to either replace my catalytic converter but was wondering if it would be more beneficial (or even possible) to equip a delete pipe or down pipe on the non-turbo model.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Subaru. The Subaru Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If simple enough I will handle the installation myself.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Subaru Mechanic should know about your Subaru?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Subaru Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Subaru
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  George H. replied 6 months ago.
Hello I will help you with your question, You can do anything to your own vehicle that you want to and if you want to delete the cat you can. The vehicle computer will turn on the check engine light and will not meter the fuel correctly but.... The fix is to install a real cat and put it back to where it left the factory 11 years ago. The cat is a consumable and does need to be replaced from time to time. Let me know how I can help you with your questions Thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have very limited car knowledge so just to clarify I can install a downpipe on a non turbo legacy?
Yes, a pipe can be installed in place of the cat but the engine computer will not meter the fuel correctly and the check engine light will be on. It will not give you more power so unless you cannot afford the repair I don't understand why you would want to do this?