Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.

My subaru cross trek 2015 was working fine and now the engine

Customer Question

My subaru cross trek 2015 was working fine and now the engine won't start... No warning light prior... It's a push button start... Everything lights up... I bought something large and had to leave the trunk partially open to get it home... I read online and in the manual that leaving the trunk open can drain the battery... I tried to get a boost and it still wouldn't start and the roadside assistance guy said I had 50% charge on my battery... A friend said 50%charge is not enough to start my vehicle. Is this true? Do I need a new battery? My car is 1 year old and has 21,000 miles
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code? The more information we have the better, but not to worry - the Subaru Mechanic will know how to find that out.
Customer: I don't have a code.. Finally had to tow my car home last night on a rollback
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Subaru Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If it's simple...
JA: Is there anything else the Subaru Mechanic should be aware of about your Subaru?
Customer: Something I think is unrelated... Sometimes when I make right hand turns my car switches from automatic to manual and I have to wiggle the shifter back and forth to put it back in automatic
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Subaru Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.
HI there,Do you hear any clicking type of sounds when you try to start it?Possibly rapid clicking when you push the button?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It does not sound like a starter going out.... But it's push button start so I don't know if it would be a little different. Everything is quiet when I try to start it... First time I hit the button nothing happens... 2nd time I hit the button it goes through the motions on the display like it is going to start and everything lifts up including headlights and radio but the engine is silent and I only hear 1 light click noise that I think would be normal result of pushing an electronic button
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.
OkI do agree it's very possible the battery is the cause here. The problem is it takes amperage to crank the starter, but not the starter solenoid or relay. That only requires voltage. I do not think you need a new battery, but this battery should be charged up to 100% to try and start the car. Since the boost pack didn't work, you might be better off with an actual jump start attempt. Put the donor car on it for 15 minutes, then try to start it. If the result is the same, then the battery is not the problem.Now, other possible problems could be the car not recognizing the key fob, the neutral safety switch or the control module for the push button. These should be covered under the 3yr/36 warranty by the dealer. The battery would not be as it only comes with a one yr warranty. I think if the jump start after 15 minutes yields no change, this should go to the dealer to resolve.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't think the key fob is the issue because I did the problem shooting with the key fob in the manual... Plus I used my other key fob and got the same result.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
So if My car starts with a boost from a donor car, do you think it will keep a charge after that?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.
Ok, that eliminates one of the possible issues.Yes I do, I don't think the battery is bad, but possibly low because of the trunk being open. Once started you should be able to drive it around a bit and recharge the battery.As for the fob, if the push button start module doesn't recognize it, that's that. Sort of a security thing. Or the module itself has failed. This would be covered which is why I am suggesting a possible trip to the dealer. I don't usually suggest the dealer, but if it's under warranty, it's the place to be.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, thank you. If I have any more questions (I'm at work right now and plan to trouble shoot when I get off work) how long do I have access with the money I paid for the consultation?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.
Long s you need, just reply here with me and I will get it
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.
You're welcome!