Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.

Intermittent starting problem. starter runs, but car wont start.

Customer Question

intermittent starting problem. starter runs, but car wont start. it starts immedieatly when pushed and use the gears to start it
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: periodically it starts fine, but then all of a sudden it has to be rolled to start. the battery is fine, the starter motor runs at full speed by the sound of it. but engine wont ignite until the car is pushed and started on the gears. sometimes waiting 10 mins helps
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Not nessecerily
JA: Is there anything else the Subaru Mechanic should be aware of about your Subaru?
Customer: manual transmission 97 model wagon. else i dont know, it is in decent shape
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Subaru Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  George H. replied 5 months ago.
Hello I will help you with your question, Is the battery in questionable condition? Are the cables clean and tight? Do you have a voltmeter? Let me know so I can help Thank you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
New battery, new ignition cables. New sparkplugs. The battery is not loose at all. Tight couplings and good cables.
Do you have a voltmeter?