Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

Cruise control works intermittently on my 2000 outback JA:

Customer Question

Cruise control works intermittently on my 2000 outback
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Subaru. The Subaru Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The cruise control is difficult to set, taking several efforts before it takes hold. Suspect the lever switch on steering column needs to be replaced. I believe the air bag needs to be remove to get at the lever/switch.
JA: Many things can cause steering issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes - found the lever/switch on the internet, but reluctant to dive in due to the air bag. Heard that battery disconnect and wait 30 min makes it save to remove the bag.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Are you a human or computer ?
JA: I'm an assistant to the Subaru Mechanic. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: I gave the problem above, and my question on the airbag
JA: Is there anything else the Subaru Mechanic should be aware of about your Subaru?
Customer: 2000 outback
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Subaru Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 7 months ago.
is the engine light o when this happens?