AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

Subaru Outback 2.5I: I have a 2008 Outback with a 2.5 SOHC

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Outback with a 2.5 SOHC engine. Doing head gaskets - Sent heads out to to be machined. They took off the camshaft pulley from the left head to machine it. There is a keyway in the camshaft and a key way in the in the pulley. 180 degrees from the pulley keyway is a round nub. There is nowhere for the round nub to go except into the shaft keyway - otherwise you can not put the pulley on the end of the camshaft flush . It seems odd that this nub would go into the keyway and that you would not use a key blank.
I was thinking they sent back the wrong pulley, but probably not. Does the nub go into the keyway?.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 7 months ago.
Hello. There should be a notch in outer edge of the camshaft that the "nub" fits into. Could you take a picture for me and upload it here so I can be sure that I am on the same page as you?
I don't recall there being a keyseat cut into the camshaft on that particular engine for a key to fit into. Just one on the outer edge that the nub would seat into.
Hopefully that helps. If not please let me know so I can do what i can to make sure your question has been answered. Thank you.