peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.

I have a 2012 Subaru Outback. I am on a road trip and have

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Subaru Outback. I am on a road trip and have been driving for about 5 hours. My cars check engine light, vehicle dynamics control warning light, and flashing break light just turned on. What is going on, what do I need to do, and is it safe to drive?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. These lights coming on indicate the engine and anti lock brake ecu's have detected a fault with one or more components in your vehicle.There is a large number of different components that will cause this issue here so its difficult to say for sure from here what needs done to correct this issue.What does have to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out/checked using a scan tool fully compatible with your vehicle plugged into your vehicle to see what codes are set.Once this has been done any codes set need diagnosed to locate and correct this issue here.In some cases a local parts store like Auto Zone can plug into your vehicle and check codes free of charge and may be able to give you an idea of what is at fault but usually cannot diagnose the fault properly.The best way to have this checked/tested is from a dealer or local repair facility.It is difficult to say for sure from here if it is safe to continue to drive the vehicle like this without knowing the issue here.Usually if the vehicle is running and shifting properly then you would be o.k. but I would have the codes checked and further diagnosed to pinpoint and repair this issue here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete