Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

Well I have. 4EAT on a 09 forester xt. I started to hear a

Customer Question

Well I have. 4EAT on a 09 forester xt. I started to hear a whirring noise from the drive train under moderate to heavy load and only in 1st & 2nd. I have done some spirited driving with it in the past not sure where to start diagnosing the problem.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Weather left right or straight. It produces the same sound. It doesn't seem like cv axles.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Subaru Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 10 months ago.
Hi there,I would start by checking the front diff oil level and condition. Make sure it's clean and free of any metal shavings. If it looks good, then I would next do the same with the transmission. Your spirited driving is not likely the cause of any problems. If there are problems, it might be the pinion bearing. I have seen this several times on these. If that is the case you should see some sparkly metal flakes in the diff oil.I would start here and see what is discovered in the oil.Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.Thank you so much!