Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

I'm trying to locate the Variable Valve Timing Solenoid on

Customer Question

I'm trying to locate the Variable Valve Timing Solenoid on a 2006 B9 Tribeca 3.0. It says on intake, but i can't find it, the ones at the front and rear of each head i can find but not this one. ECM gave me a P0021 code yesterday and I'm trying to fix it.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Subaru. The Subaru Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, i'm hoping to.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well I bought the part at NAPA, and Dorman 917-246, and I actually put it in the rear of the Left bank head, now I realized it not the right part for that position. the description for the part I bought sAYS IT GOES ON THE intake Left, but I can't find it.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Subaru Mechanic should know about your Subaru?
Customer: not that I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Subaru Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 7 months ago.
Hi there.P0021 and P0011 set when the onboard computer does not detect the expected valve lift. This could be due to a bad oil flow control solenoid valve (OCV), but it's more likely to be caused by dirty oil passages creating flow restrictions to the OCV. The OCVs for this MY 3.0L are on the camshaft caps, so the valve covers need to be removed to gain access (see figs 7 and 26 in attached graphic).It is recommended to perform at least two engine oil flushes using BG or other reputable cleaner. Doing this might solve the issue without having to replace the OCV.Please let me know if further assistance is needed.Best Regards.
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 6 months ago.
Hi again. Just checking to see if the information I provided helped you solve your issue. If it did, then kindly accept and rate my answer now.If it didn't, please reply.Best Regards.