mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

2000 subsru forrester was slidins fro 2nd to third now hard

Customer Question

2000 subsru forrester was slidins fro 2nd to third now hard shift what controls this thanks larry***@******.***
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Subaru. The Subaru Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: at shift hard,not smooth what controls this thanks larry,***@******.*** yhanks
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: i have a mechanic
JA: Is there anything else the Subaru Mechanic should be aware of about your Subaru?
Customer: first trans was sliding now harsh shifting, is it a vacum operated or what?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Subaru Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  mike switzer replied 8 months ago.
the 4EAT or 5EAT transmissions are electronically controlled in that year. they are the same just one is 4 speed and one is 5 speed. if it is slipping or has harsh engagement and no check engine light on then you have an internal pressure problem and will need a rebuild or a replacement. if you have transmission codes in the computer you may have a bad shift solenoid and may be able to to away with replacing them and changing the fluid. they are abour 40 bucks a piece and there are 8 solenoids in the 5EAT they are inside in the valve body you can get to them if you remove the pan.if you have no further questions i would appreciate if you took a moment to leave me a rating.