Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

2004 Forester; Breaks locked up. It took about 5 minutes to

Customer Question

2004 Forester; Breaks locked up. It took about 5 minutes to go from OK to completely locked.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Subaru. The Subaru Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The car was running fine. I stopped briefly and then started up. It felt like the parking brake was on. I checked to make sure it was off, and continued driving. It got progressively worse. I stopped after 3 blocks, pulled over, and when I tried to move again, the brakes felt completely locked. The engine was running fine.
JA: When it comes to solving emergency brake issues, getting the right information makes all the difference. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No, I had it towed to a shop. The tow operator couldn't pull it up onto the flat-bed; he had to use a dolly for the rear wheels. I just want to know the kind of things to expect.
JA: OK! The Subaru Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Subaru Mechanic should know about your Subaru?
Customer: 104,000 miles, just had it serviced and had the head gaskets replaced.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Subaru Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.
HI there,Is the car an automatic or manual?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
MANUAL
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.
OkThe two most common issues on these is the hill holder valve failing or being misadjusted or the master cylinder on the brakes. These use a hill holder valve to prevent the car from rolling when starting on a hill. I suspect you know that being you have one :) But if it fails it will lock the brakes up when going down the road.Same for the master cylinder. Sometimes just the slight pressure on the master or the brake pedal will cause them to get hot. As the fluid heats up it expands locking the brakes on. I have seen this happen at times when the brake light switch isn't adjusted properly.Sorry to say I don't have pricing for these issues for you, but I believe it will be one of these that will need to be repaired. My money is on the hill holder valve to be honest.Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.Thank you so much!