tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience

Something is wrong with the alarm, there is a ticking under

Customer Question

something is wrong with the alarm, there is a ticking under the dash like a relay. the marker lights keep blinking with the key off and out of the ignition. is there a way to just disable the alarm. I have pressed the reset and it doesn't seem to help.
JA: The mechanics can certainly shed some "light" on this -- sorry! Sometimes I can't help myself;-) Seriously, though, the mechanics are real masters when it comes to fixing things, and it would be my pleasure to put you in touch with the best one for this. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes if possible
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: pressing the reset is the only thing I could find to try other than disconnect the battery
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Subaru Mechanic should know about your Subaru?
Customer: i just had a friend replace a leaking head gasket and since then it has been hard to start and the alarm seems to causing issues like the lights blinking
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Subaru Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 5 months ago.
Hi what year and model is the car ,thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
1998 Subaru Legacy
Expert:  tamaz replied 5 months ago.
Hi try pressing the black reset button while the ignition is on (engine not running)or by pressing either remote button if you have one ,try this first I'm just assuming you do not have one .Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have tried it with the ignition off and also in the on position already, no change
Expert:  tamaz replied 5 months ago.
The module may be at fault, its locted above where your left foot would rest ,disconnect it,I believethe plugs are white or clear connected to it ,(it's been awhile)
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok I will try it. Would disconnecting the module be a way of bypassing the alarm?
Expert:  tamaz replied 5 months ago.
Yes this would eliminate it from operating,thanks