Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

Subaru Forester S: . I have a 2001 Forester S with a sunroof

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 2001 Forester S with a sunroof problem. The rear of the glass will drop down when the switch is pushed, but it will not retract into the roof. I'm hoping that there is just debris in the track...can you provide a few troubleshooting pointers?
Category: Subaru
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
To clarify, the switch will allow the rear of the glass to move up and down (motor operates), but the glass will not retract into the roof.
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
HI, Ok, first check rails for any obstruction preventing the roof from retracting into the roof and clear as needed.Next, check that the roof is lining up correctly and not hitting on the roof preventing it from sliding into the roof. If it is, then do the adjustment procedure I have attached. If ok, then the sunroof will need to come out to check the cables and sliders for problems and repair as needed
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There are no obstructions that I can see, but I can't see very much with the glass in and the sunroof not retracting. I think I'll need to remove the glass so I can see more of the mechanism and track. Any tips here?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
HI,Sorry, internet went down. I have attached directions for you