peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.

My keychain car opener has stopped working. How can disable

Customer Question

My keychain car opener has stopped working. How can disable the alarm in my 2007 Forester?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Subaru. The Subaru Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: When I use my key, the alarm goes off and I have to scramble to turn the engine on, to shur=t the alrm off. It annoys my urban neighbors.
JA: Soon. I'm trying to find the right Subaru Mechanic for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes. I want to disable the alarm.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything yet.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Subaru Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: No. Thanks.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Subaru Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. Unfortunately I do not show a way myself that this can be totally disabled to keep from going off without the key fob disarming the system.The key fob will have to be replaced if it is faulty and programmed to your vehicle by a dealer to correct this issue here.In some cases a dealer can program the theft system to where the key activates and deactivates the alarm in the door lock itself and the dealer would be the one that needs to check this here to see if this can be done on your model here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete