Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Subaru Legacy: 2001 Subaru wagon legacyauto 2.5 engine. My

Customer Question

2001 Subaru wagon legacyauto 2.5 engine. My tail lights won't come on unless parking light switch is on
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 10 months ago.
Do you have automatic lighting system that turns on headlights?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We have replaced the turn signal arm and checked the relay. There is no current going to the relay unelss the switch is on
.91st me check schematics and I will be back with you shortly.
The problem is most likely in the illumination control module. This is located under the drivers side of the dash, to the right of the steering column. B43 in attached picture.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I understand somewhat what you are referring to but I'm wondering how much that module controls. Car has over 255000 miles on it and has had multiple electrical problems since a garage cut a flasher switch off after they shorted it out when they replaced a headlight assembly. Since then I've had 4 alternators replaced ,fortunately all under warranty but it seems to me there could be something else unless it's possible for a wire to have been bumped when I had my mechanic replace lamps in the dash
Of course there are other possibilities such as wiring issues, ambient light sensor, etc. I can guide you through some troubleshooting if you have a multimeter and some time.